Click Banner For Details.

Sunday, 21 May 2017

I Disguised As A Man To Work in The Mines, Until I was Accused of Rape – Pili Hussein



“I Disguised As A Man To Work in The Mines, Until I was Accused of Rape” “My name is Pili Hussein. I was born into a large family. My father had six wives and 38 children. From childhood he treated me like a boy, giving me livestock to take care of and I didn’t like it…Marriage was not kind to me either as my husband was abusive to me, so at age 31 I ran away.
Somehow, I found myself in the town of Mererani where the precious stone Tanzanite is mined.
I heard there was fortune to be made mining these stones, that they were a thousand times more profitable than diamonds. I didn’t go to school so I didn’t have many options and women were not allowed into the mines…so I disguised myself as a man to get work there. I entered bravely like a man. I took trousers, cut them into shorts and appeared like a man. I spoke like a man and could cuss like one too. I changed my name to Uncle Hussein I could go 600m under, into the mine. I not only acted like a man, I was a leader of men.



 I acted like a Gorilla, I could go places even men were scared of going. I would dress like a Masai warrior, carry a big knife and talk tough. Nobody ever suspected I was a woman. “I was able to work there for 10 years. I built houses for my father, mother and twin sister, then I began to employ miners to work for me.” Pili Hussein
“It was when I was wrongly accused of rape and taken into custody that I had to reveal my true gender. Even then, people found it hard to believe it, I had successfully fooled them for so long. Shortly after, I met my current husband.The question in his mind was always, ‘Is she really a woman? “It took five years for him to come closer to me. …I have no regrets. Today, I own my own mining company and I employ over 70 workers. 

I have sponsored over 30 of my nieces and nephew to school. “I’m proud of what I did – it has made me rich, but it was hard for me,” – Pili Hussein 

 Source: BBC Worldwide 

*Wow!.. I'm inspired. This is a woman who was not willing to let anything deter her from getting to her destination. We need more people like her!*

 Did You Like This Post? Please Let Me Know What You Think! 

 DROP YOUR THOUGHTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read this post.

Please SHARE With Your Friends!